Design Principles | Me Designer Final Result


Concept

I chose to become a graphic designer so that I could tell stories to all people, regardless of the language they speak.

I have a strong background in French literature and French language. As such, I have absolutely no issues or frustrations in accurately expressing myself through the French language. However, when I started travelling, the question of self-expression became trickier.

I wanted to express in my “Me Designer” Poster how graphic design can break the limits of language. Through graphic art, I can potentially inspire and touch audiences across the world, regardless of the language or the social class.

In my poster, the circles represent different spaces or areas. Those spaces can be concrete, like Europe, North America or Australia (places where I have lived), or abstract.

I used the closure principle and transparency to make the spaces appear in the different circles and a silhouette of a character representing myself. I only used shade of greys, and the circles are actually blank spaces. My silhouette transcends those spaces and travels through them.

The melting painting represents creativity and expression. It comes from me and from all the spaces around me and from my past. I use it, spread it, mix it, get inspired by it, etc. The way the paint melts transforms the circles into spheres. The bright, high chroma colors contrast with the greys of the backgrounds. The overarching composition of the poster follows the golden section.

To conclude, I wanted to highlight the loop of the creativity:

Observation <-> Expression <-> Reception

Those three elements influence one another. To symbolize the loop, I made the drops of paint match from the bottom to the top of the page.

Finally, I inserted the words ‘’Me Designer ‘’ at the end by using the same process which was used to create the blank circle. I made each letter connect or interact with each other because this is what graphic design is about: linking things and people though an international language.