Graphic Design | Skateboard Design Final


The Peter Pan SynBoards
The skateboard became particularly popular with the general public in the 90s. Most of people from my generation (born in 80s, child during the 90s) had at one point in their life a skateboard in their garage. Those persons are adult now and most of them stopped the regular practice of skateboard. They are casual cruisers.
I wanted to develop a design for those 25-30 years old adults. The object of the board and the practice is a strong childhood memento for them.
To answer to this childhood nostalgia, I picked four cartoon characters from the 90s. I re-drew them 20 years older – like the target.


I chose four characters from the channel Cartoon Network (strong visual identity):
  • Johnny Bravo, an over confident and self-centered young adult.
  • Dexter, a boy-genius and inventor with a secret laboratory.
  • Dee Dee, Dexter’s older sister. She mostly spends her time destroying and ruining Dexter’s plan without any viciousness.
  • Courage, a coward dog that risks his life to save people even if they hate him.


Then I took one of their famous quotes and modify it (modifications in colour) to reveal what kind of adult they became:
  • Johnny Bravo is the one who got stuck in High School
  • Dexter is the one who went straight into adulthood (and forgot what is it to be a child)
  • Dee Dee is the one who could not find a job
  • Courage is the one who remained naïve.
I used only black then 1 high chroma color different and relevant for each character. As the initial design of the characters, I maintain a refined design without shades, only pure colors and strong black.
I took my inspiration from the other characters of each shows to create the older versions (eg: Dexter’s parents).
I maintain the same place and axes of the quotes, the color background and the characters to strengthen continuity in the design.

Finally, I chose the 90s board shapes to answer to the need of the target (cruiser user + childhood memento).